Since I’m not a huge fan of fish tacos (am I the only one?), I’ve found a replacement taco for the summer: Chicken Tinga Tacos! Granted, these don’t have to be enjoyed only in the summer time, but they’re light and refreshing; a perfect dish for a hot summer day.Print
- 2 Chicken Breasts (Large)
- 2 Tbs of Olive Oil
- 3 Cloves of Garlic (minced)
- 1 Cup of Yellow Onion (roughly chopped)
- 3 Chipotle Peppers in Adobo sauce (chopped)
- 1 tsp of Dried Oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1 Cup of Chicken Stock
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Can (14oz) Crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- For Serving: Limes, Cotija, Avocado and 10 (6-inch) corn tortillas. For Garnish (optional): Cilantro, red onions and/or pineapple
- Heat a large cast iron pot over medium, once warm, add your olive oil and onion. Cook until onions soften (4-5min).
- Add 3 minced cloves of garlic on high heat, for 30 seconds more.
- Add 3 Chipotles peppers, oregano, cumin and coriander. Stir and toast for 1-2min.
- Add stock, can of tomatoes and salt; reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 8 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, turn your attention to your chicken breasts. Place the breasts (making sure they don’t overlap) into a pot; fill with 2 inches of water.
- Place pot on stove, and bring water to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat, and let simmer for 12-15 minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on the chicken, and once the internal temperature reaches 160°, remove chicken. Place on a plate, cover and let rest.
- Now head on over to your simmering sauce – it’s ready to be blended! Pour your tomato mixture into a blender/food processor, and blend until smooth.
- While your sauce is blending, begin to shred you chicken. Different strokes for different folks when it comes to shredding poultry – but I prefer using two folks and pulling apart the breasts.
- Return blended sauce to cast iron pot over low heat, adding in the shredded chicken. Stir, and add in your bay leaves. Let simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes. Then remove pot from heat.
- Remove bay leaves before serving. Assemble by topping tortillas with chicken, and garnishing with avocados, cotija and cilantro. Serve with a lime wedge!