A standard go-to recipe for creating homemade pasta dough from scratch. The great part about this recipe is you don’t need a fancy machine to knead the dough – you can just use your hands. Which truly, I prefer anyways! Another added bonus to this recipe is this dough can be used for multiple pastas, including: Agnolotti, fettuccine, farfalle, and ravioli. If you’d like a delicious ravioli recipe, try this one, Homemade Chicken Ravioli. The chicken ravioli recipe was a blast to create. We ended up spending a whole Saturday making raviolis, testing fillings, and of course, eating most of them.
A few things to note before jumping into making this easy homemade pasta dough recipe: 1) Be sure that all ingredients are at room temperature before beginning, and 2) The outcome of the pasta’s thickness is completely up to you! Just roll the dough out to your desired personal preference, and create your pasta shape. If you find yourself not wanting to roll your own dough (I get it, it can be tedious at times), there’s a few pasta makers/machines out there to consider purchasing! Especially if you want to start making pasta on the regular. Here’s my top picks from Amazon:
- Marcato Atlas Machine 8334 – $89.95 (comes in a variety of colors!)
- CHEFLY Sturdy Homemade Pasta Maker – $31.98 (9 thickness settings)
- Marcato Atlas Pasta Machine 8320 – $62.28 (includes pasta cutter)
Easy Homemade Pasta Dough
- Total Time: 1 Hr 30 Mins
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- 3 level cups all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- Water as needed
- On a clean flat surface, form a mini flour mountain. Once mountain is formed, create a well at the top; add egg yolk, eggs, and 2 Tbs of water. Slowly begin pulling flour into the egg well, starting with the inside rim of. Continue pulling flour into well, until dough begins holding together. *Note: You may have to add additional water if your mixture is too dry.
- Once dough has become thick and firm, it’s time to knead. Knead dough for roughly 10 minutes, until it feels springy (pulls back into place when stretched) and appears smooth.
- Wrap dough in saran wrap, and let rest for 1 hour
- Roll the dough out to your preferred thickness, then cut dough into desired pasta shape.