Creamy Enchiladas = Happy Tummy. My mother made this awesome dish while we were living in New Mexico. And until a couple of weeks ago, I had completely forgotten about it. It wasn’t until recently, when I saw a commercial for some sub-par looking enchiladas that I started reminiscing about good enchiladas. Full disclosure, I usually spend hours reminiscing about food from the past, so this is nothing new. But this recipe came to mind, and I knew I had to share it. Hope you enjoy!Print
- Total Time: 45 Mins
- Yield: 6 Servings 1x
- 2 Tbs of butter
- 1/2 Yellow Onion, chopped
- 2 4oz Cans of Diced Green Chili Peppers
- 1 (10oz) Can of Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup (or cream of mushroom)
- 8 oz of Sour Cream
- 1 Cup of Milk
- 1 4oz package of cream cheese (I prefer using the full package, 8oz. But I’m also a fat a**)
- 1 Tbs Milk
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cumin
- 2 Cups of Cooked Chicken Breast, shredded
- 12 7″ Flour Tortillas (whole wheat is fine too)
- 2 Cups of Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In a skillet, melt butter and sauté onion over medium heat till onion is tender. Then remove skillet from heat, and stir in one can of green chili peppers.
- Now, grab a large mixing bowl and make the cream sauce! Combine: soup, sour cream, 1 cup of milk and one can of green chili peppers.
- In another mixing bowl, combine softened cream cheese, 1 Tbs of milk, ground cumin, and 1/2 cup of the cream sauce (the one you just made), and the chicken. Stir until combined.
- Spoon about 3 large Tbs of chicken mixture onto each tortilla, near the edge; roll up.
- Place filled tortillas, seam down, in a rectangular baking dish. *Make sure to pour a little of the cream sauce at the bottom of dish, before placing in tortillas.
- Pour your cream sauce over the tortillas in the baking dish. Cover with foil and bake at 350° for around 35min.
- Remove foil, and sprinkle enchiladas with Monterey Jack cheese. Return to oven and bake for 5-10min, or until cheese melts.