Vegetable fried rice – a perfect dish on any occasion… And not to state the obvious or anything, but it’s Monday. And unlike the exciting feeling of leaving the office on a Friday, Monday tends to bring less enthusiastic vibe. With that being said, any sort of positive reinforcements are welcomed with open arms – especially if it’s food. Here’s a recipe that’s sure to turn your Monday frown upside down.Print
- 7–8 Garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 2″ piece of Ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 2 Cups of chilled, cooked short-grain rice
- 1/3 Cup Grape-seed Oil
- 1 Red Pepper, chopped
- 5–6 Crimini Mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 Yellow Onion, diced
- 1/2 Cup of coarsely chopped Cilantro
- 2 tsp. Sesame Oil
- Kosher salt
- 4 Scallions, thinly sliced on a diagonal
- If you haven’t prepared your rice ahead of time – no worries! Begin this recipe by cooking your rice, then placing in the fridge to cool.
- In a nonstick skillet, add grape-seed oil, and arrange garlic in a single layer. Cook over medium heat, shaking pan often, until garlic begins to golden and crisp (about 4min). Using an oil-safe spoon/spatula, transfer garlic chips to paper towels to drain; season with salt.
- In the same nonstick skillet, increase heat to med-high, and cook ginger in oil – stirring occasionally, for about 2-3min. Remove and set aside.
- Time to cook your favorite veggies! I’ve chosen onions, mushrooms and red peppers. However, you can choose whichever you prefer! Once you’ve cooked/baked/fried/sautéed your veggies. Remove and set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, on med-high heat, add oil and eggs; stir to break up, and cook until set (literally a matter of seconds). Add rice, ginger and sesame oil, tossing to combine.
- Cook, undisturbed, pressing down on rice with a spatula (allowing for good contact with the pan) until rice begins to crisp; about 2-3 minutes. Repeat this process until rice is almost finished, then stir in your veggies.
- Remove from skillet, adding in scallions and 1/2 of garlic chips.
- Transfer rice to platter, and scatter cilantro and remaining garlic chips on top. Enjoy!