Crock-pot bbq chicken. A perfect meal to enjoy on any night of the week. I’ve really been on a Crock-pot craze lately, and it’s not just because I’ve been busier than ever – it’s because it’s just so dang convenient to make dinner in a crock-pot.
Tools needed for making Crock-pot BBQ Chicken
- Large Spoon (or really anything to stir this magic)
- Knives to chop and cut
- Baking sheet
- And the ingredients listed below
Making Crock-pot BBQ Chicken
First things first, salt and pepper your breasts (the chicken’s of course); a dash here, a dash there. Once that’s done, toss whole breasts into the slow cooker. Then chop your onions and your fresh cilantro, mince your garlic, and very carefully dice up your jalapeños. I recently experienced a trip to the E.R. for ‘jalapeño hands’, yes that’s a thing, and no it’s not fun. Toss onions, garlic, cilantro and jalapeños into the slow cooker with chicken. Add your bottle of BBQ sauce; I use Sweet Baby Ray‘s, but you can use whichever you like. Give everything in the slow cooker a stir, making sure the chicken is lathered in BBQ sauce. Set on low for 8 hrs. Give yourself a high-five, and walk away.
Once your slow cooker informs you it’s been 7 hrs, it’s time to pull the chicken. Now, you can either do this in the slow cooker, or take out one breast at a time and pull on a cutting board/plate. All you need is two forks, one to stab and hold the chicken, and the other to pull apart the breast. Once that’s all complete, toss the chicken back in for the remaining hour.
When your chicken is ready, turn off your slow cooker, or place the appliance on its ‘warm’ setting. Now, turn your oven on to Broil (400 degrees) and wait for it to heat. Slice your ciabatta buns in half. You’re more than welcome to lightly butter their tops, but you don’t have to. Place buns on baking sheet, and once your oven is ready, toss the buns in. Depending on your crispy preference, and oven, this can be between 2-5 minutes.
Take buns out, and place your pepper-jack cheese on those bad boys. Then turn to your slow cooker, and whisper, “I’m ready”. Scoop as much chicken as you’d like onto those ciabatta buns, and then salt bae a little parsley to add some color. Since this is such a monster of a sandwich, I place the top bun teetering.
Looking for another crock-pot recipe, try my Crock-pot Chicken and Gravy recipe!Print
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 3–4 Skinless Chicken Breasts (if they’re large, like mine, use 3)
- 2 Jalapeños, sliced (or more if you like heat)
- 2 Yellow Onions (chopped)
- 3 Cloves of Garlic (minced)
- 2 Tbsp. of fresh Cilantro (chopped)
- 1 Bottle of BBQ sauce (roughly 18 oz.)
- And if you’d like to make this into Pulled BBQ Chicken sandwiches, add:
- 4 Ciabatta Buns
- 4 Slices of Pepper-jack cheese
- *Butter for buns, optional
- Salt and pepper your chicken breasts; place full breasts in crock-pot
- Chop onions, cilantro, garlic, and slice your jalapeños. Add them into crock-pot with chicken
- Add bottle of BBQ sauce; I use Sweet Baby Ray‘s, but you can use whichever you like. Give everything in the slow cooker a stir, making sure the chicken is lathered in BBQ sauce. Set on low for 8 hours
- With an hour remaining on the chicken, shred it, and let cook remaining hour
- When your chicken is ready, turn on oven to a Broil. Slice your ciabatta buns in half. Place buns on baking sheet, and place in oven for 3 – 4 minutes
- Take buns out, add pepper-jack cheese; scoop chicken onto ciabatta buns and garnish with parsley
- Category: Bites
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: crock-pot bbq chicken